Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Date Night and GRASS -- beautiful grass!

I am so incredibly blessed to have an amazing husband!

Where we live there is not really any grass.
In fact ... grass isn't usually found a lot around houses or huts here.

Although there is plenty of it around out of the townships etc.
A few times I have said to Rob..... " where will we sit on the grass and have a picnic"...
Well a few weeks my husband found that at the end of our road is a place called
Chogham Gardens.

And it was where they held the Chogham meetings many many years ago.
Now it is a series of run down ... half finished brick buildings ( which I think look beautiful ! )
And a small sports bar  ( a small tv where they show sports and lounges, and a pool table )
They serve soft drinks and beer.

But the best thing about this place is the GRASS.... outside is a large grass area.... with a few tables and chairs around and an old swing ( which I have tried out many times )











I LOVE it.... its like this little oasis.... although we get lots of stares as its not normal for a white girl to be in this area... particularly whos cuddling up to a African man.
So we have started laying on the grass watching the clouds.... you don't notice the stares so much then :)

Sadly we don't get to go there very often as usually by time Rob gets home from work it is dark or nearly dark and the mozzies are out.
Plus Rob works usually long days I hate to make him go for a walk as soon as he gets home.

But the other day ( Saturday) Rob came home early enough for a walk..... he was tired so I didn't want to force the issue.... but I think he knew I needed to get out of our house and compound!!
So off we went for a walk...... but when we got to end of road, he said lets just sit on the grass and talk instead of walking around the village.

After we laughed at all the stares we were getting we eventually settled down and just chatted.
This feels like heaven when I am stuck in a small compound majority of the week and when I am alone most of the time.

After chatting and dreaming about the future.... and all the great things you could do with a place like this if you had the money ( outsdoor movie nights I reckon! ) we went to start walking towards the local store to see if we oculd get milk.
We still didn't have power back ( 3 days and counting without it)

As we were walking it was getting dark and Rob got a phone call - Rob was saying ok I'll meet you - we're right near there and I'm looking around to see who he could be talking to.

He wouldn't tell me... only to say it was a surprise.... I was trying to think who was visiting or what it could be.
When we got near our house a boda boda ( a motorcycle taxi) was waiting for Rob and handed him a plastic bag with white boxes in it and rob paid him.

I had no idea what it could be until I felt it was hot.... and then I screamed - outloud! Quite embarrassing with soooo many people standing near by... I'm sure they think white women are strange! Well at least this one.

IT WAS PIZZA!!!
We have recently found a café in town that sometimes has wi fi and does more western food as well as local ones.
Its the only place in town and is fairly new here.
Rob had stopped off there on way home from hospital and ordered pizza as a surprise.

This is first time since being here in Lira I haven't cooked dinner.
And dinner is a big job especially with no electricity or any light at all.
ANd everything is of course cooked from scratch here.

I couldn't work out how we had the money to buy pizza but that was part of the surprise FINALLY Rob's allowance had been paid.
Sadly its quite a bit less than we were told but we are grateful.
We arrived home to NO WaTER and NO ELECTRICITY

But Rob said its DATE NIGHT.... and we ate pizza ( which was pretty good although different to home) and soda and juice which Rob also bought as a surprise.



We thankfully had enough charge on computer after we had power for 2hours that day to watch a movie.

So in the dark we snuggled and ate pizza and watched a movie on our computer under our mosquito net.

FELT so spoilt and reminded of how blessed we are and how blessed I am to call ROB mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment